[OS X TeX] Finding pdftex.cfg

Ludger Hentschel hentschel at simon.rochester.edu
Fri Jul 16 18:57:36 CEST 2004

On 7/15/04 12:37 PM, "Herb Schulz" <herbs at wideopenwest.com>
wrote:

>On 7/15/04 12:37 PM, "Ludger Hentschel" <hentschel at simon.rochester.edu>
>wrote:
>
>  >
>  > Following similar logic, I stored a copy of pdftex.cfg in
>  > .../library/texmf/tex/generic/ to solve problem #2. pdftex now finds
>  > this copy without incident.
>  >

>Howdy,
>
>I guess I would have tried putting it into ~/Library/texmf/pdftex/config/
>but if that works...

I agree that ~/Library/texmf/pdftex/config/ is the most intuitive
place for a copy of pdftex.cfg. I tried this first, but it did not
work.

I now think the "right" way of making pdftex find pdftex.cfg when
using my custom format is to create an entry in texmf.cnf that looks
something like

TEXINPUTS.myformat = .;$TEXMF/{pdftex,tex}/{plain,generic,}//

It is my impression that I should not modify any files in the
/usr/local/tetex/... tree. Maybe texmf.cnf is an exception. Maybe I
should place the modified version of texmf.cnf in ~/library/texmf/...

Before sorting this out more clearly, I will live with the current arrangement.

Regards,

Ludger
Ludger Hentschel
William E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration
Box 270100, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627--0100
Phone: (585) 275--1058, Fax: (585) 273--1140
E-mail: mailto:hentschel at simon.rochester.edu
Web: http://www.simon.rochester.edu/fac/hentschel
Mac OS X TeX: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
              http://latex.yauh.de/faq/