[OS X TeX] Condensed fonts

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Fri Jul 16 18:37:55 CEST 2004

I am LaTeXing a book in MS Word to be put on the web as Open Source
under some copyleft license.

I need to typeset, say, the following:
	31.72 KILOMeter
where KILOMeter is in an as condensed as possible, hopefully sanserif,
font with mall caps for ILO in KILO.

(I used Futura Condensed in MS Word and Futura Condensed Medium in
Intaglio. Other than Gloucester MT Extra Condensed, Futura is by far
the most condensed in my otherwise undistinguished collection.
Gloucester is Serif.)

  Companion2ed 351 eventually led to:

		\newcommand{\embf}[1]{\textbf{\emph{#1}}}
		\newcommand{\sfbf}[1]{\textsf{\textbf{#1}}}
		\newcommand{\scbf}[2]{{\bfseries\sffamily
#1\textsmaller[2]{#2}}\normalfont}

		\DeclareMathAlphabet{\denom}{OT1}{cmss}{sbc}{n}

and then

		\scbf{K}{ILO}$\denom{Meter}$

The issues are:
- cmss requires a math mode and I cannot get small caps
- the resulting KILO is not condensed enough
- the match in Intaglio's figures is not good.

The question is/are:

- Can this be improved upon?
- Are there condensed fonts that would work both in text and math
modes? (From what I read, I assume that I cannot use Futura and, in
fact, didn't find anything other than cmss.)

Regards
--schremmer

Mac OS X TeX: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
              http://latex.yauh.de/faq/