[OS X TeX] OT: DocBook vs. LaTeX

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Fri Jul 16 14:17:43 CEST 2004

On 15.07.2004, at 20:05, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> Does anyone on the list have experience with DocBook as a method for
> writing documentation? I've looked into a it a little bit because it
> seems to be very popular among software developers, especially
> open-source, while LaTeX seems to get a bad rap. What I've found,
> though, is frighteningly complex (it's XML-based and has hundreds of
> tags), is lacking in good tools, at least on the Mac, and ends up with
> the same kind of output as LaTeX--printed and HTML information,
> generally. I have found pdflatex and htlatex to be perfect tools to
> produce what I need, so I am really lost as to what advantages DocBook
> might have. Any perspective is appreciated.

I'm highly interested in DocBook too. Can anyone with handson
experience tell me whether this something I could use for writing aPhD
thesis in humanities or whether this is mainly for technical writing?
Is there something comparable to bibTex? How hard is it to get printed
documents with the quality of LaTeX?

TIA

simon
--