[OS X TeX] Missing symbols after epstopdf

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 16 09:39:11 CEST 2004

On 16 jul 2004, at 5:13, Matthew Collett wrote:

> On Thursday, July 15, 2004, at 06:50  pm, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
>>> There is a Symbol.dfont in System/Library/Fonts and in
>>> teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts there are /afm/adobe/symbol,
>>> /afm/urw/symbol, /tfm/adobe/symbol, /tfm/cg/symbol and
>>> /type1/urw/symbol.  Surely at least one of these could be persuaded
>>> do the job?  I'd be happy to burrow into the .eps files and edit the
>>> font name if that was what was needed: they currently just say
>>> "%%DocumentFonts: Symbol ".
>>
>> The urw symbol name is certainly different, and that is the only real
>> font you have (the type 1 font, afm files are just the metrics, you
>> don't need them, the tfm files are metrics, tex needs them). It is
>> the combination that makes it hard. an automated way is preferred.
>
> Sorry, you've lost me: the combination of what with what?

The combination of Computer modern (which is often unavailable to tools
like Adobe Acrobat Distiller, or the Mac OS X front-end) and True Adobe
Symbol (or another symbol variant) (which may not be available in a
straightforward way to command-line utilities like epstopdf).

> (And of course, when I say "burrow into the .eps files" I really mean
> "perform a multi-file Search-Replace", not changing things by hand!)

Well, on the first file maybe to see if things work.

>> - use ps2eps to get the sizes correct (this will take care of the
>> bounding box).
>
> Aha, this is the missing link.  Thank you.  This time round I have
> succumbed to time pressure and just printed the document in question
> from the old machine, but it won't be here forever, so when I get a
> chance I shall try this.

Another option is to figure out where this machine gets its fonts from
(most likely the CM variant) and install that on the new machine. From
then on Preview should be able to do the conversion without a hitch.

Maarten

Mac OS X TeX: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
              http://latex.yauh.de/faq/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq