[OS X TeX] FAQ or Archive

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Thu Jul 15 21:58:24 CEST 2004

On Jul 15, 2004, at 2:57 PM, Samuel Lelievre wrote:

> A very small point about the list footer:
>
> The recently posted request for an eye-catching "FAQ"
> mention in the list footer might simply mean that the
> current footer is not eye-catching enough --- perhaps
> because one can be too lazy to read a sentence in the
> list footer.
>
> Thus the footer might even be made that short:

Samuel,
I agree that this should work, too. However, as Alain has noted, many
will not read anything down there. They will not read the obligations
of being on the list, not even well enough to know that there are
obligations someplace. Tens of messages each day with that web site in
the footer, yet they never venture to click on it. For the life of me I
can't understand how someone could figure out how to get on this list
without knowing that the mac-tex pages even exist. That's where you
sign up! It's like going to the Eiffel Tower and not knowing that Paris
exists. How does one miss it! If this list had sign-on instructions
elsewhere (which I hope that nobody has done), then I would understand.
But, you have to go through the web site to get onto the list. How does
one not notice the web site?

Joe