[OS X TeX] FAQ or Archive

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Thu Jul 15 19:39:53 CEST 2004

On Jul 15, 2004, at 12:54 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> "Historical information" is a bit disingenuous as, presumably, the
> point is to make it easier for "(beginning?) users".
>
> It is certainly the case that, technically, " "information, and
> LaTeX/TeX resources" covers it. "
>
> Yet, the fact is that the rest of us, at least, do respond to certain
> cues such as FAQ.

Right, but the word "information" covers it well enough for everybody,
which is why it is there instead of FAQ.

> It doesn's seem to cost much to anyone to add such cues as have been
> suggested and, if will help making it a bit easier and less
> frustrating to "challenged" people such as myself to learn La/teX, it
> would be cost well spent.
>
> As I have said before, and as I practice in my own corner, I don't
> care about much as long as it will help students learn. (Which is why
> I am learning the \*!%&//?@\\ LaTeX in the first place.) This might be
> the only case where I have not found much wrong with the end
> justifying the means. The fact is that, in learning situations, we
> allow far too many foreign considerations to interfere with the
> learning process to begin with.
>
> Respectfully,
> Regards
> --schremmer

My point was simply that in signing up for the list, the 'agreement'
that has been referred to includes the responsibility to consult the
posted resources. Now, people don't always do this. I've been guilty,
as have many, and there is a lot on the web site that, without spending
the time to search "mac tex FAQ" on Google (which, by the way, sends
you right to the FAQ), can easily go unnoticed. However, to say that
the signature in these email messages needs to be expanded because it
doesn't clearly tell how to find information is disingenuous. The web
pages are a place to put all of the information, not the footer to each
message.

Some of us are better at digging for information than others. We all
understand that, and there are many on this list constantly biting
their tongues when questions about easily found information are posted.
However, if an individual fails to read the sign-up agreement well
enough to know even that there is information on the website where they
signed up, then no additional information in the footer of the email
will be helpful. This is not said to be unfriendly, but simply
practical. It was ignored before. The footer also says "look here for
information", but there is often not even the meekest attempt to click
on the link. That doesn't mean that the footer is wrong. It simply
means the reader will ignore what ever is posted. At some point, the
member of the mailing list has to live up to their responsibility to at
least read what their responsibilities are. Surprisingly, the FAQ and
it's link are right there.

I'm sure Robert is quite embarrassed already by this, so we should let
this go. He messed up, as we all have. A little reminder of where to
find things is sufficient. Cues such as 'this is you responsibility'
and 'find information here' are plenty clear to a responsible person.

Joe