[OS X TeX] Missing symbols after epstopdf

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 15 08:50:22 CEST 2004

On 15 jul 2004, at 6:29, Matthew Collett wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 14, 2004, at 08:13  pm, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
>>> I have a number of diagrams in the form of EPS files (produced many
>>> years ago using Freehand).  Labels on these diagrams employ a
>>> variety of fonts, including Times, Computer Modern and Symbol.
>>> After conversion to PDF using epstopdf, all characters in the Symbol
>>> font are completely missing, whether the picture is viewed as a
>>> stand-alone PDF file or embedded in the PDF produced by TeXShop
>>> (either using TeX+Ghostscript or Pdftex).  Times characters are
>>> always correct; CM characters are replaced by Courier (or similar)
>>> viewed as stand-alone or in the output from TeX+Ghostscript but are
>>> OK in the output from Pdftex.
>>
>> How did you include CM in these diagrams?
>
> Er, I guess TeXtures came with Mac versions of the CM fonts.
>
>> I think the font-name is different from anything available on you new
>> machine, and the fonts are not found.
>
> I might believe that for the CM stuff, but that's not really the
> problem, since Pdftex gets it more-or-less right anyway.  It's the
> Symbol font characters that I can't get at all.  There is a
> Symbol.dfont in System/Library/Fonts and in
> teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts there are /afm/adobe/symbol,
> /afm/urw/symbol, /tfm/adobe/symbol, /tfm/cg/symbol and
> /type1/urw/symbol.  Surely at least one of these could be persuaded do
> the job?  I'd be happy to burrow into the .eps files and edit the font
> name if that was what was needed: they currently just say
> "%%DocumentFonts: Symbol ".

The urw symbol name is certainly different, and that is the only real
font you have (the type 1 font, afm files are just the metrics, you
don't need them, the tfm files are metrics, tex needs them). It is the
combination that makes it hard. an automated way is preferred. The
library fonts will never be used by (pdf)tex.

>> Can you include these diagrams in a ps printout on your old machine?
>> That should take care of the inclusion, and from there on the
>> conversion can be done.
>>
>> You could generate a series of single-page ps files (don't forget to
>> remove the number) and use that as a basis for further processing.
>
> Well, it's a possibility, I suppose.  I'd have to include all the
> fonts in the .ps file for there to be any point to the exercise, so
> they would be huge.  And then I would have a bunch of .ps files each
> with a diagram by itself on a vast expanse of empty page.  This is
> certainly doable, if tedious.  But how do I get from there to a .pdf
> file with just the actual (often quite small) diagram?

This requires a trip to the terminal, I hope you're comfortable with
that, and some tools might need to be installed -- I can't recall which
ones came with i-Installer and which ones I installed myself. (Google
can find these tools).

- Produce the ps file with all fonts included. Don't forget ro remove
the page number in the (La)TeX file.
- use ps2eps to get the sizes correct (this will take care of the
bounding box).
- use epstopdf on the resulting file.

The pdf you get now should have the right size, and include all
characters. Further processing can be done with pdflatex, and font
troubles will be a thing of the past. If the fonts turn up in the pdf
without being subsetted, they will be larger than needed: look fot the
multivalent tools (on sourceforge) to compress the pdf files, one of
the options is to use subsetting on the fonts.

Maarten