[OS X TeX] Missing symbols after epstopdf

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 14 10:13:41 CEST 2004

On 14 jul 2004, at 4:39, Matthew Collett wrote:

> I've recently migrated from TeXtures on an old Mac to TeXShop on a new
> one.  I have encountered one small but annoying problem.
>
> I have a number of diagrams in the form of EPS files (produced many
> years ago using Freehand).  Labels on these diagrams employ a variety
> of fonts, including Times, Computer Modern and Symbol.  After
> conversion to PDF using epstopdf, all characters in the Symbol font
> are completely missing, whether the picture is viewed as a stand-alone
> PDF file or embedded in the PDF produced by TeXShop (either using
> TeX+Ghostscript or Pdftex).  Times characters are always correct; CM
> characters are replaced by Courier (or similar) viewed as stand-alone
> or in the output from TeX+Ghostscript but are OK in the output from
> Pdftex.

How did you include CM in these diagrams? I think the font-name is
different from anything available on you new machine, and the fonts are
not found. Can you include these diagrams in a ps printout on your old
machine? That should take care of the inclusion, and from there on the
conversion can be done.

You could generate a series of single-page ps files (don't forget to
remove the number) and use that as a basis for further processing.

Maarten