[OS X TeX] Missing symbols after epstopdf

Matthew Collett m.collett at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jul 14 04:39:22 CEST 2004

I've recently migrated from TeXtures on an old Mac to TeXShop on a new
one.  I have encountered one small but annoying problem.

I have a number of diagrams in the form of EPS files (produced many
years ago using Freehand).  Labels on these diagrams employ a variety
of fonts, including Times, Computer Modern and Symbol.  After
conversion to PDF using epstopdf, all characters in the Symbol font are
completely missing, whether the picture is viewed as a stand-alone PDF
file or embedded in the PDF produced by TeXShop (either using
TeX+Ghostscript or Pdftex).  Times characters are always correct; CM
characters are replaced by Courier (or similar) viewed as stand-alone
or in the output from TeX+Ghostscript but are OK in the output from
Pdftex.

I did see a mention in the archives of some font problems possibly
being caused by Mac line endings in an EPS file, but if I understood
correctly this was fixed.  In any case, I did try converting the
line-endings of one of my EPS files to Unix, and it made no difference.

Any suggestions as to how I can get my symbols back?

Thanks,
Matthew Collett