[OS X TeX] Embedded Fonts

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jul 13 21:11:05 CEST 2004

Howdy,

I know that there was discussion on the list about embedding the ``Basic 35
Postscript Fonts'' within pdf files and I'm pretty sure I know how to use
updmap to change it's config file and then those for dvips, pdftex and
dvipdfm (does this last one work since it's not mentioned in the man page
for updmap or do I have to manually edit updmap.cfg?).

My main question is... Can Windows, Linux and other *X machines pick up the
``Basic 35'' locally or MUST I embed them in the pdf? The reason I ask is
that the Courier Scaled package is now on CTAN but my documentation, in pdf
format, doesn't have Helvetica and Courier as embedded fonts.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)