[OS X TeX] varioref

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jul 13 19:03:31 CEST 2004

On 7/13/04 11:39 AM, "Kannan Moudgalya" <kannan at iitb.ac.in> wrote:

>> You don't have to do a texhash if you add things to your personal texmf
>> tree
>> (~/Library/texmf/...).
>
> Possibly my installation is not ok: it does not update unless I do a
> texhash.   My personal files are in ~/Library/texmf/... only.

Howdy,

Are you using the i-installer installation? If you put things in the
texmf.local branch (local to your computer but available to all users) you
do need to do a texhash (or mktexlsr) but you should if you add items to
your personal branch (~/Library/texmf/...).

>> I just use the Finder's Find (Cmd-F) turning Visibility (one of the
>> additional options) to ``visible and invisible items'' and have had no
>> problems having it search inside /usr/... .
>
> I don't understand this.  Can you please explain this or give a pointer to
> a writeup?  Thanks.

In the Finder go to File->Find... (or Cmd-F). The default is a single search
criterion: Name contains ... . You can add a criterion by clicking the (+)
button in the finder (i.e., you can make very detailed searches). Click on
the criterion selection drop down (it starts out with ``Name'' chosen) and
choose ``Visibility'' and then, in the second drop down choose ``visible and
invisible items.'' Now you can search for files whose Name contains ... and
may be in invisible locations.

Note that the i-installer places the actual files in /usr/local/teTeX/ and
/usr/... isn't normally visible in the Finder. The symbolic link
/Library/teTeX/ is placed there for easy access to /usr/local/teTeX for the
user but the actual path is /usr/local/teTeX/.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)