[OS X TeX] varioref

Kannan Moudgalya kannan at iitb.ac.in
Tue Jul 13 17:31:12 CEST 2004

I recently discovered varioref, a terrific package for cross-referencing.
As I had a old version of it, I copied the latest version into
~/Library... and did a texhash - now it is running ok.  It took some time
to find out that I had a old version, though.  What is the easiest way to
find the versions of the LaTeX packages on a powerbook?

Now I have a question on the use of varioref.  As it automatically
includes the page numbers of the referenced items, there is a problem when
a reference falls on a page boundary.  For example, in my 400 page
document, the page numbers don't stabilise at all, even after several
compilations.  varioref's manual suggests that such references should be
cited with \ref as oppposed to \vref.  This involves a lot of work for me
as I have lots of equations and cross-referencing.  What is the best
solution for this problem?  If there is no option but to manual
intervention, what is the best way to do it?