[OS X TeX] footnoting in a tabular

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Sun Jul 11 18:23:11 CEST 2004

Hubris is always more expensive than even learning is: I started with
the Companion2ed, then bought the Guide and now, on your recommendation
and a more detached appreciation of my own capabilities, I will get the
Lamport book.

  At first reading, I couldn't believe I needed \footnotemark and
\footnotetext. (I missed the crucial last sentence in the
"peculiarities" paragraph!) Hence my request. But after your post, I
kept on reading the Companion and I am beginning to see the intricacies
of Latex and to appreciate that the "minipage solution" was indeed a
fairly "benign solution".

The "minipage with \footnotemark and \footnotetext solution" works fine
for me as these tables are really only a local typographical
re-arrangement of the body text and thus are short and absolutely not
floating.

I should perhaps say a few words as to what I am up do: Currently, out
of a thousand (1000) students registering in "Remedial Mathematics"
(=Arithmetic) in U.S. two-year colleges, only one (1) ever passes
Differential Calculus. I am trying to help bringing this ratio to ten
percent (10%) by writing a proto-text (as opposed to a full-sized
textbook complete and replete with examples, exercises, historical
notes and other ancillaries). For this to have even a slight chance to
happen, I will put it up on the web under an Open Doc license for other
people to turn it into textbooks and/or other materials. Hence the
necessity to convert from MS Word/rtf to TeX what I already have, about
half. But I still have to assemble-rewrite the other half from stuff I
have written over the many years.

Up to fairly recently, just converting, bit by bit, was all I could do.
But now I want to play with the typographical arrangements because this
type of students  (very numerous) is quite unable to read solid
paragraphs. So I am also inTeXing as an opportunity to bring both the
writing and the format closer to what these students can handle.

Thus, I still need ALL the help I can get.

So, thanks for the help.
Regards
--schremmer