[OS X TeX] Why is pdflatex not good enough?

Sameer Agarwal sagarwal at cs.ucsd.edu
Thu Jul 8 01:27:19 CEST 2004

Hello,
This is a question that has been bothering me, and Maarten Sneep
brought it up as part of the converting pdf to eps thread, why is it
that publishers do not want pdflatex output?

Is it a font thing? My understanding was that PDF embeds whatever
shapes it uses in the file unlike postscript, so I would think that PDF
is a superior format for communicating documents which will be rendered
on different media (screen/printer). Is there a way in which pdflatex
can be forced to produce output that is better suited to a publisher's
needs?

thanks,
sameer