[OS X TeX] Gimp for OS X Available

Steffen Wolfrum macosx-tex at st.estfiles.de
Tue Jul 6 09:34:51 CEST 2004

Herb Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Just to let folks know, I saw that GIMP 2 is available for OS X (runs under
> X11 - so for 10.3 or try the 10.2 experimental version of X11). Go to
>
> <http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/>.
>
> I'm still using Photoshop 7 and haven't played much with GIMP but...
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

Thanks for the link! I have downloaded "Gimp-2.0.0-5.dmg".

I am still using Jaguar 10.2.6 and I have installed "X11UserForMacOSX.dmg". So I should be able to use the new gimp at least in this so called experimental X11 version. But up to now it doesn't work.
When I start the Gimp.app there pops up an error that says "Failed to start X11 - Gimp.app requires Apple's X11". So I started X11 first manually and then start Gimp. Now again a kind of startup message says "Caching fonts..." but 2 seconds later Gimps closes again without finishing its start up (but also no error this time).

Somebody knows what to do?

Hope you don't mind this OT reply.

Thank you,

Steffen