[OS X TeX] paragraph formatting

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Thu Jul 1 17:18:29 CEST 2004

Hi all,

Please remember that I am quite new with LaTeX. But I have noticed that
when a paragraph ends flush with the right margin, a space is added
before the next paragraph. Since, by default, the next paragraph is
indented, this extra space is not needed to recognize that a new
paragraph has started. Furthermore it does look odd. I quickly browsed
through a buch of books, but I could not check if this is "accepted" in
typography as I found no example of it. This could be because it is
rare, or because something is done to prevent paragraphs that end flush
right on the last line.

What do you think?

Is there an easy way to either prevent paragraphs from terminating
flush right, or to allow them to terminate flush right but prevent this
extra space?

By the way, I tried to find an answer in the FAQ first, but it seems to
always put "or" between keywords instead of "and" (it is my conclusion
from getting 100 hits to my search on  "Questions matching the
expression 'space+after+paragraph'", none of which I found related to
the topic I'm interested in. I did not see a link to an advance search.
Do you know how to do better searches?

Thanks,

Denis