[OS X TeX] Re: The .enc problem

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Thu Dec 30 16:46:21 CET 2004

I am cc-ing the list because of the fact that in your case the problem
is solved now after a uninstall/reinstall cycle.

On Dec 30, 2004, at 16:16, Simon Spiegel wrote:

> Ok, de-installing TeX and installing TL20005 finally did the trick. It
> works now. My results are attached...
>
> Thank you
>
> simon
>
> Here are my results:
> simi_/Users/simi: kpsewhich --expand-braces \$ENCFONTS
> .:/Users/simi/Library/texmf/fonts/enc//:!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/
> texmf.local/fonts/enc//:!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/fonts/
> enc//:!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/enc//:!!/usr/local/
> teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/enc//
> simi_/Users/simi:
>
> simi_/Users/simi: grep ENCFONTS
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
> ENCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/enc//
>
> simi_/Users/simi: env
> SECURITYSESSIONID=211da0
> HOME=/Users/simi
> SHELL=/bin/tcsh
> USER=simi
> PATH=/Users/simi/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin:/Users/simi/bin:/usr/local/
> bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/sw/
> bin:/Developer/Tools:/Users/simi/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/
> bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current:.
> __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0
> TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
> TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=100.1.4
> TERM=vt100
> HOSTTYPE=powermac
> VENDOR=apple
> OSTYPE=darwin
> MACHTYPE=powerpc
> SHLVL=1
> PWD=/Users/simi
> LOGNAME=simi
> GROUP=staff
> HOST=simi-computer.local
> MANPATH=/Users/simi/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/share/man:/usr/
> X11R6/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/share/man
> INFOPATH=/sw/share/info:/sw/info:/usr/share/info
> PERL5LIB=/sw/lib/perl5:/sw/lib/perl5/darwin
> GDK_USE_XFT=1
> XML_CATALOG_FILES=/sw/etc/xml/catalog
> SGML_CATALOG_FILES=/sw/etc/sgml/catalog
> QTDIR=/sw
> QMAKESPEC=/sw/share/qt3/mkspecs/darwin-g++
> XDG_DATA_DIRS=/sw/share
> XDG_DATA_HOME=/sw/share
> ENV_SET=

Your environment is not perfect:
1. Setting a MANPATH env variable will disable man from working
properly in Mac OS X 10.2 and up. The TeX man pages will not be visible
with your use of MANPATH as I edit /etc/manpath.config which is
overruled by your MANPATH setting.
2. Your PATH is weird. /usr/local/bin (and certainly your personal
directories) before the system directories is a security risk, /sw/bin
after them is incorrect for Fink to work properly

The fact that you had this problem and not anymore seems to me a matter
of this system config and there is no guarantee TeX will stay working.
That it did not work may have nothing to do with your system setup but
we are too late to find out what caused the problem (e.g. if you had
accidentaly changed the install location you would have been working
with the old setup all the time) but we cannot check that anymore.

For others with problems: please try to create an i-Installer report at
the end of an install. The mail button does not work on large reports
(Apple problem) but copy and paste into a mail message does work.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>