[OS X TeX] The .enc problem

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Thu Dec 30 14:05:29 CET 2004

.enc files are located via the ENCFONTS variable.

On my system, the value is:

$ kpsewhich --expand-braces \$ENCFONTS
.:/Users/gerben/Library/texmf/fonts/enc//:!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.local/fonts/enc//:!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/fonts/enc/
/:!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/enc//:!!/usr/local/teTeX/
share/texmf/fonts/enc//

This is straight from the default TeX Live texmf.cnf:

$ grep ENCFONTS /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
ENCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/enc//

There are two ways this could happen:
1. A combination of TL2003 texmf.cnf (which has no ENCFONTS variable)
with TL2004/5 binaries
2. Trouble with the environment

I guess on the system with people with problems the variable is somehow
set in the environment as I do not ship anything resembling 1. But who
knows, there might be a way my package can produce this result in
certain circumstances, in which case I want to know how.

Any variable that is set will not be overridden by the texmf.cnf files.
The order in which variables are defined is:

1. The environment
2. /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf
3. /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

So, people who are experiencing problems after a fresh install should
investigate their environment. Maybe something is set in
~/.MacOSX/envrionment.plist (in case of GUI apps). In the Terminal, you
can type

	env

and see what is set. Note: it is a good idea to separate frontend from
backend while trying to locate your problem. So, the first step is
often to do the same TeX job in another way. If you normally use
TeXShop, you should try with the command line first. The command line
is a good test bed anyway because you cansee very well what is going
on.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>