[OS X TeX] TeXLive 2004, PDFTeX magnification problem.

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Dec 29 18:34:58 CET 2004

On 12/29/04 10:21 AM, "Bruno Voisin" <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:

> Le 29 déc. 04, à 16:39, Edward Thome a écrit :
>
>> I apologize to the list for missing that thread and therefore sending
>> a needless request to the thread.  Early on, I did a search in the
>> archives and did not find anything about this problem; I should have
>> done another such search before posting yesterday.
>
> No problem, and I think your post is quite useful indeed: the new
> behaviour of pdfTeX does break backward compatibility, in the sense
> that the same input gives different outputs with the TL2003 and TL2004
> versions of pdfTeX, and it's likely there will be a number of bug
> reports linked with this. The only possible mitigating factor is that
> so few people use plain TeX nowadays, that there is a slight chance the
> change gets unnoticed. In any case it's certainly useful to see the
> solution now stated explicitly in one post.
>
> Bruno

Howdy,

It's amazing how this group discusses things just as they hit me. I was just
about to look up the previous discussion, started by Bruno, about the
magnification problem with the latest pdftex because I ran into it when
trying to use an old TeX style file I wrote too many years ago that formats
multi-page outlines. The printing was way off and then I remembered the
problem since it used \magnification=\magstephalf at the beginning of the
style file. Bruno's solution works great. I wonder how it can be generalized
to pick up the page values in the pdftexconfig.tex file and have come up
with:

\catcode`@=11
 \def\m at g{\mag\count@
   \hsize6.5truein\vsize8.9truein\dimen\footins8truein
   \ifx\pdfoutput\undefined\else
%    \pdfpagewidth8.5truein\pdfpageheight11truein
    \input pdftexconfig.tex
    \pdfhorigin1truein\pdfvorigin1truein
   \fi}
\catcode`@=12

I'm not sure if the rest of the values are defaults for all setups.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>