[OS X TeX] Editors with folding (was: Outlining ersatz)

Michael S. Hanson mshanson at wesleyan.edu
Wed Dec 29 00:03:25 CET 2004

On Dec 28, 2004, at 3:34 PM, William F. Adams wrote:

> Or you could use LyX which'll manage this sort of thing pretty
> automatically, or you could get an editor which supports ``folding''
> which is probably closer to what you wanted originally. Is there a
> good one for Mac OS X which is free?

	I only know of two editors that support folding on OS X, neither of
which satisfy the above criteria ("good" and "free")....

	jEdit is a free editor that is written in java and thus works
cross-platform.  It arguably is good in a large number of dimensions,
save one (or two):  it has a challenging learning curve (IMO) ... and
it's written in java.  (That is, if you prefer Cocoa or even Carbon
apps, you probably will be turned off by jEdit's interface.)  Otherwise
it has quite extensive capabilities and a very active group of
supporters.  <http://www.jedit.org/>

	TextMate is a Cocoa-based text editor that supports folding -- and a
number of other potentially useful innovations -- but costs $49 (€39).
This is cheap by BBEdit standards, I suppose.  It is early in its
development cycle, however, so it is also missing several features.
<http://macromates.com/>

	If TeXShop or one of the other TeX-oriented editors on OS X were to
implement folding, I would be extremely pleased.  Unfortunately, even
BBEdit -- in version 8! -- lacks this ability.  HTH.

                                         -- Mike

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>