[OS X TeX] TeX i-Package released

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Dec 28 21:12:06 CET 2004

The TeX i-Package has seen a new release (somewhat earlier than planned
after my accidental releae a few days ago and sthe following blocking
of the repositories). This is a major milestone as it marks the move
from a TeX Live 2003 structure to a different and incompatible TeX live
2004 structure. The TeX Live 2003 structure is still available for
those that need it (though it is not 100% pure, but close enough) as an
option during install. Also available, the first development snapshot
for TeX Live 2005 with the latest pdfTeX.

	This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20b-rc5-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)

Anyway, there has been a fair bit of testing over the last months and
it seems that it is stable enough. However, the switch from TeX Live
2003 to TeX Live 2004 may unearth problems on systems (e.g. if you rely
on old style stuff in your ~/Library/texmf tree the reordering of that
is still on my todo list. On the command line it goes like this:

	/usr/bin/ruby
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/scripts/context/ruby/textools.rb
--fixtexmftrees --force ~/Library/texmf

).  Other hidden problems can also be unearthed by this upgrade, so be
warned and there is no way around them if you want to remain at the
forefront of TeX developments.

In case of problems:
	- Send me a report of the install (view menu - report, recreate
report, mail it to me)
	- Send me an example file that exhibits the problem and te log of the
compile that has the problems
	- Tel me how you run TeX (e.g. TeXShop or command line etc.)
	- If you use the command line, make sure you send me the output of the
'env' command

Most poblems will probably concerns font mappings (as this is what
changed the most).

I'll try to help as much as I can within limits of resources I must
add. Do not update if you are finalizing your PhD thesis now. And make
a backup of /usr/local/teTeX before you do.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>