[OS X TeX] From LaTeX to TeX

Michael Murray mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Mon Dec 27 11:13:26 CET 2004

Hi Ewan

Years ago I learnt Plain TeX then later LaTeX.  If you have TeXShop,
or probably any other tex install, you can run either plain tex or
latex.  In TeXShop the choice is under the Typeset menu.

Unless its a very simple document I think you will find converting a
latex file to a plain tex file very tedious. Going back the other way
is probably not so difficult.  But if you want plain tex to run
musixtex then presumably you won't be running your existing latex
files will you?

Regards - Michael

PS.  One thing that does amaze me when I occasionally use plain tex
is the speed!

>   Hello all,
>

>  could anyone help me on this :
>  although I'm fairly familiar with LaTeX, I know nothing about "plain TeX"
>(I learned LaTeX directly), and today this causes me a problem because
>I have to use MusixTeX for which use of TeX rather than LaTeX is hignly
>recommended. So I ask myself many questions :
>
>  -given a source document originally written in LaTeX, is it easy and fast
>to convert it to a "plain TeX" file ?
>  -what are the main differences between the two ?
>etc.
>
>              Ewan

Michael Murray

Professor of Pure Mathematics
Head of School
School of Mathematical Sciences      Fax: 61+ 8 8303
3696
University of Adelaide             Phone: 61+ 8 8303 4174
Australia  5005      Email: mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au
            Web: http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/~mmurray

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M

copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient please
prohibited. No representation is made that this email or
any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>