[OS X TeX] Re: improving the tex typesetting script?

Joachim Kock jkock at start.no
Wed Dec 22 14:01:06 CET 2004

"William F. Adams" <wadams at atlis.com> wrote:

> Had a kind of irritating situation develop the other day, and was
> wondering if anyone had considered modifying the typesetting script to
> preclude it.
>
> In a nutshell, I didn't typeset a document quite enough times and wound
> up w/ a chapter which didn't have fully up-dated reference #s to
> Sections --- if the typesetting script were set up to call latex 3
> times that wouldn't've been possible --- if the first two calls were to
> only make a .dvi the performance hit shouldn't be _too_ excessive I'd
> hope.

Alpha's tetex interface takes care of this sort of questions automatically,
if you set the preference flag 'autoNextAction'.  Then after each tex run
the log file is scanned, and depending on the content of the log file the
correct next action is taken.  This means that if there are erros, the
next action will be error-browsing, if there are missing bib refs, bibtex
is run, if 'labels (may) have changed', another tex run is spawned, and
when there are no errors or warning, the viewed is launched.  There are
further preference flags for fine tuning the setup, but the mechanism is
quite clever and tactful: for example, if the user decides not to run
bibtex just now (do that when the document is nearing final stages), then
the mechanism will not suggest bibtex as long as the missing bib ref is
the same.  (Well, I guess you have to try it to appreciate these fine
points.)

Cheers,
Joachim.

Få din egen @start.no-adresse gratis på http://www.start.no/