[OS X TeX] Ghostscript 8.50 i-Package

Eitan Gurari gurari at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Dec 21 20:39:35 CET 2004

 > <grin> I'm investigating the use of tex4ht to translate small snippets
 > of latex math-code into mathml. This is some background research for
 > future versions of the Equation service or similar applications
 > (attaching
 > both the latex and mathml encoded versions of the same math-code to the
 > pdf,
 > made easy with pdftk). I'm still wondering whether I should go for the
 > "pure" mathml or for a browser friendly version. The idea is that for
 > example
 > OmniOutliner can extract either the mathml or the latex version of the
 > equation
 > for export into other formats.

If the mathml code is to be farther filtered and one has full control
over the filter, I would go for the xhmlatex mode.  Otherwise, I think
the mzlatex mode is safer.

One of the main differences between the two modes is in how `rare'
unicode symbols are supported.  For instance, the xhmlatex mode
provides a single unicode symbol &#xFB00; for the ligature ffl;
mzlatex currently provides a triplet of characters for the ligature.
Once the ligature will be widely supported by browsers, mzlatex is
expected to change its behavior accordingly.

-eitan
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>