[OS X TeX] Emacs compilation time

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Dec 21 15:51:13 CET 2004

Le 21 déc. 04, à 15:02, Jose Carrion a écrit :

> By the way, maybe you have some special reason to compile Emacs on
> your machine, but I found that the version on
> http://mindlube.com/products/emacs/index.html (compiled from source
> some time in May) works great.  It comes as an application bundle and
> works "out of the box".

Jose, Thoeger,

Thanks for your answers. I had been trying the emacs compilation
essentially to get my hands at using DarwinPorts. And also because I
was very interested by Piet van Oostrum's recent messages about the
possibilities offered by CVS emacs, but not knowing how to compile (ie
not knowing how to invoke CVS, how to specify options at compilation
time, how to specify where to build the software, etc.), and having had
a quick look at the DarwinPorts port file, I thought DarwinPorts would
do exactly that for me, and provide me with the CVS emacs Piet was
referring to.

As to why DarwinPorts, given there are so many Carbon or Cocoa emacs
builds available on the web (4? 5? 6? what a mess!), and not knowing
which one should be more complete or convenient or reliable than the
others, and not being competent enough to figure out by myself, I had
decided to just stick with DarwinPorts.

Regarding compilation, I think emacs with the Carbon option has no
dependency at all (no X11 or GTK or graphic library), it seems the
unreasonable compilation time is caused by the creation of the Carbon
interface. It may also be that since I had installed several different
emacs builds on my Mac, to have a look at them, then the compiler is
now seeing them and having a hard time resolving redundancies.

Well, I think I'll just let the compilation proceed for a couple more
hours, and then, if it's still going on, just kill the job, erase
DarwinPorts from my disk completely and stay happy with Enrico's ECE
for experimentation purposes (and think about another Archive & Install
of OS X when time allows, to clean my possibly corrupted setup).

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>