[tex-live] [Fwd: [OS X TeX] Bug in latest pdfTeX (and/or teTeX) with respect to \magnification?]

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Dec 21 14:08:23 CET 2004

Le 21 déc. 04, à 12:48, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> This behaviour might be a problem with respect to backwards
> compatibility and compatibility with other TeX engines: take story.tex
> and add at its beginning the single line
>
> 	\magnification=\magstep1
>
> That is a perfectly legitimate plain TeX file, not using any
> dvips-specific or eTeX-specific or anything-specific extension, and
> yielding a given output with TeX + dvips + GhostScript. Then process
> the same file with pdfTeX, you'll get a different output. At least
> that's what it does on my setup.

Here's a test I've just done, to get rid of \magnification oddities,
with TL2004 setup in i-Installer: take story.tex (from
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/plain/base/story.tex), copy it
to a writable location and add

	\mag=\magstep1

at the beginning.

Then process it with TeX + dvips + GhostScript: the line breaks are not
changed, the text is magnified by 1.2 but the page dimensions are
unchanged, so that the text is cut on the right (it falls beyond the
right page limit).

Process the same with pdfTeX: both the text and the page dimensions are
magnified by 1.2.

I've done this both in TeXShop (with TeX + GhostScript mode on one
hand, and pdfTeX mode on the other hand), and from the command line:

- using "tex story.tex" and TeXniscope to visualize the .dvi output;

- using "pdftex story.tex" and Adobe Reader to visualize the .pdf
output.

Thus I don't think any dvips configuration file could play a role here.

Am I missing something obvious? Is the above normal behaviour, that I
am erroneously interpreting as a bug?

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>