[OS X TeX] OT: frying ones iPod

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Dec 21 01:05:11 CET 2004

On 21 Dec 2004, at 00:20, Frank STENGEL wrote:

> Le 20 déc. 04, à 20:50, Gerben Wierda a écrit :
>
> <snip>
>> PS. And yes this means that I can compile under 10.2 again (with some
>> difficulty, I am booting from my iPod to do so)
> <snap>
>
> Ouch, beware, more than an iPod was fried this way. I tried with my
> old trusty 1st generation one and, well, its post booting temperature
> just put me off: to hot to comfortably handle, so around 60 °C...

I checked the heat of my 4G iPod and it was not exceptional, but that
was not shortly after booting. Maybe the design and the parts was/were
improveds since you had that experience.

But thanks for the warning. I am thinking of creating a bootable DVD
with BootCD and have OS X 10.2, Developer system, XFree86 and some
things more on it. Maybe it is even possible to create a disk image,
use CCC to copy my backup boot disk on it and burn that to DVD.

The only problem is that when the computer goes to sleep, the iPod goes
into music mode and a wake form sleep becomes impossible.

I am waiting for my Superdrive upgrade for my Cube to make that happen.
I hope it arrives before Christmas. (I decided to keep on using my
*very* silent Cube and use money to upgrade it with Superdrive, extra
memory and an extra monitor which then can be used for my NeXTdimension
too when I get it out of the moth balls.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>