[OS X TeX] TL2003 vs. TL2004

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Dec 17 11:53:14 CET 2004

On 15 Dec 2004, at 10:23 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> There's another unsolved problem, which is the dreaded
> "[][][][][][][][]..." bug affecting some XeTeX users (XeTeX entering
> an infinite loop of "[][][][][][][][]..." in the console log,
> requiring to force-quit the TeX front-end). My impression is that this
> is not linked with TL2004 in particular, but with some memory
> configuration changes, brought in
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf by the TeX i-Package on
> 28 November and affecting both the TL2003 and TL2004 setups after that
> date. Is there some other user of XeTeX 0.88 here who would experience
> the opposite (same bug with previous versions of gwTeX, or no bug with
> more recent versions of gwTeX), so that we know the problem lies
> elsewhere?

This problem has now been traced to a specific setting (non-zero
extra_mem_bot). A future release of XeTeX should correct the bug, but
in the meantime it can be avoided by a change in texmf.cnf; see the
XeTeX FAQ:
	http://scripts.sil.org/xetex_faq

Apologies to all who have been frustrated by this one!

JK

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>