[OS X TeX] Mac OS 8/9 text editors?

Jason Davies ucgajpd at ucl.ac.uk
Sun Dec 12 03:28:19 CET 2004

>- work with documents longer than 32k, - work with utf-8 documents,
>and - color code tex documents.
>
>Preferably it should be a text editor only, with no style capabilities
>at all, to keep it simple for a rather LaTeX-ignorant person that
>needs to make small changes to LaTeX files. If it works on OS X too
>it's a bonus, but not necessary.
>
>All suggestions appreciated!
>
>The following do not qualify: - BBEdit Light

do you have access to OS X? You could use BBEdit (lite) in 9, then
script it to open and save as utf-8 in BBedit for X.

I don't know of a unicode-savvy OS 9 editor

Another one to consider is Nisus Writer 6.5. I seem to remember that had
some claims to unicode. It's a very powerful editor. (Actually, I just
checked and it comes with scripts that convert to utf-8).

Whether these are still available, I don't know...

oh, and Nisus used to give away their version 4 - not sure whether that
is still true, or whether v4 handled unicode (you're going back about 10
years, so I doubt it).

And what was that app that appeared at the end of OS 9? Worldscript? I
think it was bundled with the OS or something. THat was a unicode savvy
application (designed to fill the gap, as was).

best of luck...!
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>