[OS X TeX] Request from newbie

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Thu Dec 9 03:23:38 CET 2004

On 9 Dec 2004, at 12:42 PM, Dewey Dykstra wrote:

> My problem is that when the figure is called, I get an "Unknown
> graphics extension:  .eps error" message.

The problem is that there are essentially two "flavours" of TeX: one
that outputs PDF directly (pdftex), and one that outputs "something
else" (tex).

Using pdftex allows you to include PDF, PNG, and JPG graphics, whereas
tex allows only EPS. Otherwise, the differences between them are
negligible for your purposes.

To cut a long story short, to fix your problem go to the "Typeset" menu
in TeXShop and select "TeX and Ghostscript" instead of "pdftex".

A better fix is to set up automatic conversion from EPS to PDF in the
TeX document, but I always forget how to do that, sorry :)

Good luck,
Will

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>