[OS X TeX] Request from newbie

Dewey Dykstra ddykstra at mac.com
Thu Dec 9 01:24:05 CET 2004

Hi:
I am trying to get an implementation up and running.  I believe that
for the flavor of TeX I need to use (revtex4--American Physical
Society), I need to have graphics.sty and graphicx.sty installed on my
machine.  I have found the corresponding .dtx files, from which I
believe the .sty files can be extracted, but I do not know how to do
the extraction.  I am working with TeXShop in OS 10.3.6.  I hope
someone can tell me how to do this.  Thanks.

Dewey
Dewey I. Dykstra, Jr., Ph. D.         Phone: (208)426-3105
Professor of Physics                  Dept:  (208)426-3775
Department of Physics/MCF418          Fax: (208)426-4330
Boise State University                ddykstra at boisestate.edu
1910 University Drive                 Boise Highlanders
Boise, ID 83725-1570                  novice piper: GHB, Uilleann
<http://www.boisestate.edu/physics/Dykstra/Dyks.html>

"a physics major has to be trained to use today's physics whereas
a physics teacher has to be trained to see a development of physical
theories in his students' minds."  -- Hans Niedderer in
"International Conference on Physics Teachers' Education Proceedings"
Dortmund: University of Dortmund, p. 151, 1992.

"It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of
instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of
inquiry;
for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly
in need
of freedom; without this the plant goes to wreck and ruin without
fail."   --A.
Einstein in "Autobiographical Notes,"  1949.

"Now there are two theorems that form together the cardinal hinge on
which the whole structure of physical science turns.  These theorems
are: (1) THERE IS A REAL OUTER WORLD WHICH EXISTS
INDEPENDENTLY OF OUR ACT OF KNOWING, and, (2) THE REAL
OUTER WORLD IS NOT DIRECTLY KNOWABLE."  --M. Planck in
"Where Is Science Going?," 1932. (EMPHASIS in the original)

"As a result of modern research in physics, the ambition and hope,
still cherished by most authorities of the last century, that physical
science could offer a photographic picture and true image of reality
had to be abandoned."  --M. Jammer in "Concepts of Force," 1957.

"If what we regard as real depends on our theory, how can we make
reality the basis of our philosophy? ...But we cannot distinguish
what is real about the universe without a theory...it makes no sense
to ask if it corresponds to reality, because we do not know what
reality is independent of a theory."--S. Hawking in "Black Holes
and Baby Universes" 1993.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>