[OS X TeX] Indexing '&'

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Mon Dec 6 03:08:54 CET 2004

I am having another small problem. I would like the ampersand, &, to
appear in the index but Makeindex does not like it: It stops there and,
when I Typeset LaTeX, the console objects as follows:

    )(./Title.ind[139]
    !Misplaced alignment tab character &.
    1.3    \item &
                    , 7

where 7 is the page on which '&' appears in the book called 'Title'.

But if I run Makeindex with, say, \index{blurb}, it indexes of course
'blurb' as entry 139 (out of 155) and, since, I am using Showidx,
'blurb' shows also in the margin but, when I then replace 'blurb' by '&'
and typeset LaTeX, 'blurb' is indeed replaced by '&' in the margin with
no objection from the console but not in the index at the back of the
book where 'blurb' remains.

Regards
--schremmer
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>