[OS X TeX] Documentation on documentclass{letter}

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 4 23:01:58 CET 2004

On 4 dec 2004, at 22:48, Google Kreme wrote:

> I've yet to find a good (that is, complete) readme/help/tutorial that
> explains the various options in \documentclass{letter} and how this
> class differs from article, book, etc.
>
> Anyone wanna tell me where to go?
>
> Wait, let me rephrase.  Anyone wanna point me to such a readme?

Don't bother with the letter document class (the documentation is in
Lamport's book, if you're really curious). The Letter class is
inflexible,
delivers rather ugly letters, and there are better options out there.

The KOMA class bundle has several letter variants, all of them easily
customisable. CTAN has several others, including an old set by the NTG
(the dutch branch of the TUG). This is the one I use (brief.cls).

I believe a previous edition of Kopka and Daly had an example of how to
use and customise the letter class, but I don't know if it is still in
the current edition.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>