[OS X TeX] i-Installer question

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Dec 3 22:05:50 CET 2004

On 3 Dec 2004, at 16:35, Michael Gedalin wrote:

> I have a stupid question for which I have not found a FAQ: when I am
> updating my TeX package via i-Installer (Install and configure), is it
> necessary to choose install all is suggested ? For instance, I have
> just updated it. The changes in the file system where something around
> 82K. The expert-2004 mode suggested that I install a whole bunch if
> things, and I agreed. Was it necessary or could I choose only a part
> to make it faster ? Is there something written to read about that ?

There is nothing, but I can explain something. The choices you get in
expert mode are remembered. So, if you select to have a certain combo
installed, one reinstall you will get the same choices again. There is
not intelligence in i-Installer to only unpack the archive parts that
have been changed. A download will only download what has bene changed,
but an install will install what you have selected.

So: downloading is 'smart' but installing is not. It would be difficult
to implement smart-unarchiving in the current i-Installer because
archive parts may overlap (e.g. the document part installs *inside* the
basic foundation part. There are more complexities.

I have not tuned all i-Packages, configures etc to their limit (no
time). Robustness comes first (and even there sometimes something goes
wrong, see the thread on utf8.def). Speed comes second.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>