[OS X TeX] Endnote 8

Mark Smith mark at bbprojects.net
Wed Dec 1 20:52:04 CET 2004

Eric M. Austin wrote:

>Sorry for the mind-reading exercise!   Dragging a  citation from EN
>to a Word document (saved as rtf) produces a link  {Allik, 1970,
>Allik1970} in the rtf document.  When done editing the rtf, I choose
>"RTF Document Scan" in Endnote, point to the rtf file, and it
>produces a new (renamed) rtf file that has all of the citations
>sorted properly and formatted in any style defined in Endnote.   You
>do all the editing on the original rtf file containing just the
>links.  That way there is no problem when you later edit the document
>and perhaps insert more citations.
>
>THIS feature is the only reason I keep EN around.   One more time
>after clarification: Does anyone know of a good workaround for this?

OK. As far as I am aware, these temporary citations are not really links as such, but that's beside the point. This style of working is available (in OS X) with both EndNote and Bookends in most WP apps. (I'm assuming that you know how BibTeX works and are aware that exactly this style of working is available with a .tex file and e.g. BibDesk.)

I'm still not clear whether you are trying to avoid EndNote and continue using Word or whether you are just looking for a general solution for managing citations and formatting bibliographies in rtf files. If I *had* to work with rtf files in this way *today*, I'd go for Bookends and use it with Mellel. The two together are cheaper than an EndNote 8 upgrade (I think) and both seem like more attractive and safer apps than their counterparts in Word and EndNote.

0.02,

mark.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>