[OS X TeX] [OT] i-Installer and other package managers

Stephan Hochhaus stephan at yauh.de
Wed Dec 1 18:26:41 CET 2004

Hi Jan,

Am 01.12.2004 um 17:52 schrieb Jan Eden:

> So I wonder which package manager you would recommend for other
> utilities - I tried Fink (and did not like it) and read something
> about Gentoo for Mac OS X. Are there other options?
I am a friend of darwinports: http://darwinports.opendarwin.org
Unfortunately the updating of ports isn't very user-friendly yet
(uninstall existing port, install new version). But besides that it is
a great package manager. I used to have fink installed as well, but it
had too many outdated packages at that time.
On the darwinports list I read an interesting thread about package
managers recently which I'd like to quote:

"From a philosophical point of view ... DarwinPorts was designed so
(and by) Mac OS X users would have easy access to Open Software; Fink
was designed so (and by) Unix and Linux Open Software users would be
able to run their programs on OS X. There is nothing inherently
"better" about either approach, they are simply two different ways of
approaching the same problem -- running Open Software on OS X."

And an additional comment:
"I'd rather say that Fink is the Linux approach, while DarwinPorts is
the BSD-Unix approach to installing Software.
dpkg comes from Debian, while the idea of a ports collection comes from
FreeBSD;"

I never used Gentoo on Mac OS X so I can't elaborate on that..

Stephan

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>