[OS X TeX] TeXniscope speed [was XeTeX sources]

Massimiliano Gubinelli mgubi at mac.com
Wed Dec 1 15:33:30 CET 2004

On 1 Dec 2004, at 3:12, Geoff Vallis wrote:

> I actually find TeXniscope very fast, even on long documents, although
> not quite as fast as xdvi. One thing that seems to slow it down is
> that (when previewing a dvi file) it converts any EPS graphics to PDF
> graphics using ps2pdf. This makes it slower than just using pdflatex
> from the outset. If the PDF graphic already exists, there should be no
> need to do this conversion. Could Texniscope not be made aware of
> pre-existing PDF files and just display them if so?
>
> This issue unintentionally doesn't arise in v0.32, because Texniscope
> can't always follow the path to EPS graphics specified in the source
> document, so it gives up and and moves on! This may be the reason that
> Bruno (I think it was he) could not get Texniscope to display graphics
> properly, when previously he had it working.

I still have to experiment but all this small glitches should really
depend on dvipdfmx and I will try to fix them in the next few releases.
As for speed there is a small trick which I used to make "perceived"
speed higher. the first time TeXniscope read a dvi document it
translates to PDF only 10 pages or so around the current page (or the
first then pages), after that it starts a background process to
complete the translation of all the paper. This make the first page
appear soon and usually this is what matters. I think it can be made at
least 2 times faster if some strategy can be found to use TeX fonts in
Quartz....
I'v tried the following strategy which partially works: I can make a
PDF without embedding fonts (which takes a lot of time) then this PDF
is passed to the rendering engine and it is drawn. Of course the system
looks for the missing fonts and I provide the fonts in otf format to
Quartz.
This works partially but I cannot match the different encodings (I do
not have enough knowledge) so mathematical fonts and other characters
do not show up properly. I think this strategy can be made to work and
it will improve the viewer speed by factor 2 (at least) in normal
situations.
But much work is still to be done...

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>