[OS X TeX] Mathematica fonts in graphics

Ross Moore ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Tue Aug 31 12:03:00 CEST 2004

On 31/08/2004, at 6:38 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 31 aug 2004, at 1:53, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> Maarten: I haven't tried your solution yet, due to one warning from
>> the dvips doc, saying (in essence) EPS files created in this way
>> (i.e. "dvips -E") are resolution-dependent and should be used mostly
>> as a last-resort solution. Did you experience this limitation, or is
>> it immaterial?
>
> Afaik this only applies if you use bit-mapped cm fonts, I _think_ the
> documentation is a bit out of touch with reality. OTOH, if you produce
> them at the size you are going to use them, no further scaling is

I agree with this assessment.
I've been using  dvips -E  for *years* with LaTeX2HTML and .pfa or .pfb
fonts
to make images for web-pages. The results are great.

So the dependence on resolution is only an issue when using bitmapped
fonts.
If the fonts are scaleable, then resolution issues should only occur at
the
*next* (Ghostscript) step, and even then, only if Ghostscript is being
asked
to produce a bitmapped image.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>