[OS X TeX] TeXShop macro "Select class options"

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Aug 30 10:47:25 CEST 2004

On 30 Aug 2004, at 9:01 am, Will Robertson wrote:

> Basically I'd like not to have to embed my script ever deeper within
> error-catching if statements; I think I'm missing something basic -
> I'd expect to be able to to do something like this:
>
> on run
> 	subroutine1
> 	subroutine2
> 	subroutine3
> 	do some final stuff
> end
>
> with the code in each subroutine going something like this:
>
> on subroutine1
> 	do some stuff
> 	if error1, exit run
> end
>
> and so on.

Could you use the "try ... on error ..." construct to help?

Along the lines of

	on run
		try
			subroutine1
			subroutine2
			subroutine3
			finalStuff
		 on error errText number errNum
			if errNum = .... -- test for errors that you want to handle
			else -- deal with unknown errors in a generic way, perhaps
			end if
			-- perhaps some cleanup here
		end try
		reallyFinalStuff
	end run

	on subroutine1
		-- do stuff here
		if (something's wrong) then error "Failure in sub1" number 10000 --
raise an error
		-- do more stuff
		if (another problem) then error "Failure in sub1" number 10000
	end subroutine1

	etc.

Errors can include other information, too, like a reference to the
object that caused the failure; check the Applescript doc for more
information. I believe you can also do things like nest "try" blocks,
re-throw an error from within the error handler if you want to pass it
up the chain, etc.

HTH,

JK

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>