[OS X TeX] Mathematica fonts in graphics

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Aug 27 15:58:58 CEST 2004

Hello,

I'm pretty sure this question or a similar one has already been evoked,
but I couldn't find a solution, if any.

I've been trying to include, in a pdfLaTeX document, figures created by
Mathematica. In order to get axes labels etc. in Times, I've used in
Mathematica:

$TextStyle = {FontFamily -> "Times"}

Everything works fine, the figures are saved from within Mathematica as
EPS files, then converted to PDF using either epstopdf (Ghostscript's
distiller, called from within a perl script in the teTeX distribution),
pstopdf (Panther's distiller) or Acrobat Distiller 5.0.5, and the PDF
files look correct in all cases.

However, when including the figures in the pdfLaTeX document, based on
the package graphicx and \includegraphics, I get warnings such as:

Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
(file /usr/
local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/type1/wolfram/Math1.pfa): glyph
`hyphen' un
defined

and all minus signs in the figures are replaced by empty boxes.

It turns out that, when instructed to use any other font than the
default Courier, Mathematica uses this other font for text, but for all
mathematical symbols (including the minus sign here) it defaults to
Math1, one of its built-in Wolfram mathematical fonts.

I've already, as indicated in the above warning, converted the fonts
for use with TeX and installed them in my texmf.local tree. However,
Math1 (at least the version shipped with my Mathematica 4.1.3) seems to
have encoding issues, producing the above problem; similarly, the
horizontal fraction bar is replaced by another character, etc.

Is this a well-known issue in the Mathematica or TeX world? Is there an
easy fix?

Thanks for any hint,

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>