[OS X TeX] LaTeX companion and Guide to LaTeX differences

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Tue Aug 17 01:00:04 CEST 2004

I don't know about "the" best but I do have both (and nothing else) and
while they both drive me insane at times, without them *and this list*
I would still be wondering which way is up.

By the way, the Guide is not a subset of the Companion. For whatever
reason, there are things that are in the Guide but not in the Companion
or. at least, better done in the Guide. I don't recall the specific
examples but each time I look up the Guide, I read the Companion too.

There is also the issue of how easy it is to find the answer to the
question you have. Even if it is there, somewhere, if you can't find it
or if it takes you looking up ten page numbers to find it, it is not
good. And it is often the case with the Companion.

So, I agree with Schulz, holdup a bank if you must but get both.

Regards
--schremmer

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>