[OS X TeX] LaTeX companion and Guide to LaTeX differences

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Aug 16 15:51:33 CEST 2004

On 8/16/04 8:38 AM, "Mihalis Tsoukalos" <ekefe at freemail.gr> wrote:

> Hello to everyone.
>
> What is the audience of each one of those two books?
> I want to buy one of them :-)
>
> many thanks in advance,
> Mihalis.

Howdy,

``Guide to Latex'' is what I believe to be the best introduction to LaTeX
around. Besides the basics it goes into just enough detail to show you how
to extend the basic classes with packages and gives a nice introduction to
many of the most useful packages.

``The LaTeX Companion, 2nd Edition'' has some of the best nitty-gritty
details of how to manipulate LaTeX to do exactly what you want it to do. It
goes into great detail on many packages and how to use them as well as much
of the inner workings of LaTeX.

I don't think I could do without either one! If I can't find something in
Guide or it doesn't go into enough detail on a subject I'm sure to find it
in TLC2.

Both have been updated with new editions to reflect the state of LaTeX2e in
the present.

Hope this helps.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>