[OS X TeX] OT: TeX for windows

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Sun Aug 15 03:20:50 CEST 2004

On Aug 14, 2004, at 12:37 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 14 août 04, à 17:21, Joseph C. Slater a écrit :
>
>> On Aug 14, 2004, at 9:31 AM, Stephan Hochhaus wrote:
>>
>>>  Besides that installing software would require a lot of persuasion
>>> on the sys admin who a) doesn't want to install anything for me and
>>> b) doesn't really like the idea of anyone but him being able to
>>> install anything.
>>
>> Oh, and I think it's important to let your tech support person know
>> that they are there to support the mission of the
>> school/college/university (depending on which part of the structure
>> they work for), so whether they want to or not, it's their job to
>> actually make the computers useful, and YOU define that, not them.
>> I've run into this in the past. There often seems to be some
>> confusion that just having computers sitting there running what the
>> sys admin wants is success. It's not. What the sys admin wants is
>> secondary to the needs of the instructors and the students. I'd raise
>> hell over that attitude. If that's how they do their job, it's time
>> to get rid of the sys admin. Think of the opportunity... with Macs,
>> you could even do it yourself!
>
> I don't exactly know what the situation of Stephan is, so maybe I'm
> completely off-base, but I would say the situation that Stephan is
> facing is something specifically European.

Are you joking? I know Louis XI invented bureaucracy to raise money to
rent peace from the English (I didn't learn that in the Lycée but from
Kendall) but in my current corner of the universe (Philadelphia Com.
Col.), things are exactly the same.

If I believed in human nature \ldots

Regards
--schremmer