[OS X TeX] OT: TeX for windows

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Sat Aug 14 17:21:05 CEST 2004

On Aug 14, 2004, at 9:31 AM, Stephan Hochhaus wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I know this ain't the appropiate place to ask this kind of question
> but I'll try anyway.
> I will be giving my very first LaTeX class in october. The classroom
> is equipped with some elderly win xp system. Now I am looking for a
> very simple way to use LaTeX on those machines for my class.
> Unfortunately there's no TeX pre-installed. Besides that installing
> software would require a lot of persuasion on the sys admin who a)
> doesn't want to install anything for me and b) doesn't really like the
> idea of anyone but him being able to install anything.

Here are more links than you asked for:

http://www.math.auc.dk/~dethlef/Tips/introduction.html
http://atlas.math.vanderbilt.edu/~schectex/wincd/
http://www.winedt.com/
http://www.miktex.org/
http://www.winshell.de/
http://toolscenter.texniccenter.org/front_content.php?idcat=26
http://vim.sourceforge.net/
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html
http://fmg-www.cs.ucla.edu/fmg-members/geoff/ispell-winnt.html
http://home.imf.au.dk/hellmund/xemacs.html
http://www.fptex.org/
http://home.germany.net/100-122054/texwin.htm
http://www.math.vanderbilt.edu/~schectex/wincd/list_tex.htm#shells

Winshell is free, and probably your best other than texnicenter (I
haven't tried texnicenter). My secretary uses Winshell when working on
my documents. She uses that and WinEDT.

Oh, and I think it's important to let your tech support person know
that they are there to support the mission of the
school/college/university (depending on which part of the structure
they work for), so whether they want to or not, it's their job to
actually make the computers useful, and YOU define that, not them. I've
run into this in the past. There often seems to be some confusion that
just having computers sitting there running what the sys admin wants is
success. It's not. What the sys admin wants is secondary to the needs
of the instructors and the students. I'd raise hell over that attitude.
If that's how they do their job, it's time to get rid of the sys admin.
Think of the opportunity... with Macs, you could even do it yourself!

Joe

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>