[OS X TeX] Weird behavior

Hugh Neary neary at econ.ubc.ca
Sat Aug 14 07:00:32 CEST 2004

Alain Schremmer wrote:

> I once mentioned a talent I have which is to bring banks to a
> standstill.
>
> It seems it occasionally extends to TeXshop. I will do something rather
> innocuous like dragging a pdf graphics into a source file. TeXshop
> dutifully wraps it as
>
> %\includegraphics[]{Figures/04_07.pdf}
>
> But then, it won't typeset. The console runs amok, I have to force quit
> TeXshop and, after that, when I try to typeset again, it gives a
> message (which, since TeXshop is stuck, I cannot just copy/paste here.
> Is that on purpose?) ending with

I don't know if this is the same issue. Sometimes I find that the .aux
file gets corrupted in TeXShop and then typesetting becomes impossible,
with the console typically giving something like you describe

> !File ended while scanning use of \@writefile
> <inserted text>
> \par
> 1.69 \begin{document}
> 			%begin{document}(that's something I have to flag it in red.)
> ?

Simple trouble-shooting tricks like putting \end{document} somewhere in
the file previous to where the trouble began don't help since the error
message comes back no matter what.

A solution is to simply trash the .aux file and then re-typeset. A new
trouble-free .aux file is created automatically. This seems to be
effectively what you are doing, by cutting and pasting to a new file
which automatically generates a new .aux file when you typeset.

Hope this helps (to quote a very helpful member of the list)

Hugh Neary

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>