[OS X TeX] using acrobat distiller with TeXShop

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 12 21:40:39 CEST 2004

On 12 aug 2004, at 20:49, Timothy Van Zandt wrote:

> Joseph C. Slater wrote:
>
>> On Aug 12, 2004, at 11:52 AM, Timothy Van Zandt wrote:
>>> Should be simple, but I find no reference to anyone using acrobat
>>> distiller 6.0 from the command line or as a substitute for the
>>> pstopdf
>>> engine in TeXShop. Anyone know how to do this?
>> You can use the open command.
>> open -a Acrobat\ Distiller\ 6.0.2.app 'filename'
>> You can't use non-default options.
>> Joe
>
> That's great, thanks. I can run this from the command line, but now
> find that TeXshop's "Personal Script" option in preferences does not
> allow one to substitute an alternate distiller. Am I correct?

The personal script requires you to write a (shell) script that takes a
file-name and produces a pdf-file with the same base-name. To create
smalled pdf-files: you could try the Multivalent tools.

Maarten

Example (save in a convenient location, make it executable, and fill
out the path in the TeXShop prefs):

#!/bin/bash

# set some variables
docroot=`basename $1 .tex`
thedir=`dirname $1`
latexapp="/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex"
postprocessor="/usr/local/teTeX/bin/ppower4/ppower4p"

pushd $thedir
$latexapp $docroot
$postprocessor $docroot.pdf $docroot.tmp.pdf
rm -f "$docroot.pdf"
mv "$docroot.tmp.pdf" "$docroot.pdf"
touch "$docroot.pdf"

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>