[OS X TeX] Publicon: a new technical publishing tool

mark smith mark at bbprojects.net
Wed Aug 11 16:57:25 CEST 2004

maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl wrote:

>They have some examples up on the web, in different formats. The
>exported LaTeX code doesn't look as bad as one might fear. the pdf
>samples shows that no hyphenation is used at all, although the maths
>typesetting is not that bad actually (certainly beats Word).

The examples look reasonably good. Pity they are all XP screenshots, it would be useful to know if the UI is just as butt ugly under OS X.

>> This might be great for those who have used FrameMaker in the past
>> since
>> Adobe has announced it won't support it on the Mac any more.
>
>I strongly suspect that this application was started after that
>announcement.

I don't think so. Publicon has been (according to Wolfram) in a state of "near-release" for ages. (I had some correspondence with Wolfram back when I first got a sniff of this (which was, IIRC late 2002 or early 2003) and I seem to remember that Theo Gray posted to Apple's Scitech list saying something like "sorry its taken so long, but we hope to release it before the end of the year", I think that was about Oct/Nov 2003.)

>It is certainly refreshing to see developers trying to
>create software that has a GUI, but goes beyond the limitations of pure
>visual mark-up.

Yeah, its a decent idea, the proof will be in the pudding.

No demo though.

mark.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>