[OS X TeX] A few questions

Joseph C. Slater joseph.slater at wright.edu
Wed Aug 4 17:46:05 CEST 2004

On Aug 4, 2004, at 11:16 AM, nathan.sidoli at utoronto.ca wrote:

> Hello All --
>
> I've just set up teTeX on a G4 powerbook. I installed Wierda's dist and
> moved all my LaTeX files etc over from my linux machine.
>
> I like to write in emacs and view the .dvi as I go, only converting to
> .pdf at the end. Carbon Emacs looks nice but it doesn't act the way I
> expect so it looks like I'll just run emacs in the apple terminal.

You can install x-windows (using your MacOSX CDs), then you can look
around and find an x11 version of emacs (see the mac-tex web site)...
try http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/ or http://fink.sourceforge.net .

> I have a few questions about the way the apple term works.
>
> 1) Is there some way I can get things to open up suspended in a
> separate
> window as with most linux dists? ie:
>
> emacs &
>
> should pop up a second window running emacs. In fact this doesn't work
> in
> the X11 xterm either.

The installed emacs is not X capable. You need to install another
version from someplace (see above).

> 2) Can I run xdvi from the apple term? I get
>
> Error: Can't open display:
>
> It would be nice to be able to run the view command (C-c C-v) in
> emacs. I
> can run xdvi from the X11 xterm but this is ad hoc.

Short answer: nope, you need to be in an x terminal.

Long answer: Put setenv DISPLAY localhost:0.0 in your .cshrc file. Make
sure X11 is always running when you need it, or you will have to use an
open command or something to get it there. You could:
alias emacs 'open /Applications/Utilities/X11.app;setenv DISPLAY
localhost:0.0;/usr/bin/emacs'

making sure that all paths above are correct. I simply keep X11 running
(I run on login), and have the DISPLAY set to localhost.

The following helped me get around the issue of changing networks with
my laptop, which tended to mess up X-windows (everything freezes
because your DISPLAY is now at a different location on the network):

>>> Authored by: hlk on Wed, Apr 28 '04 at 08:10AM
>>>  I changed my iBook hostname in /etc/hostconfig:
>>>  ##
>>>  # /etc/hostconfig
>>>  ##
>>>  # This file is maintained by the system control panels
>>>  ##
>>>  # Network configuration
>>>  HOSTNAME=-AUTOMATIC-
>>>  HOSTNAME=otto
>>>
>>>  Then I made sure that "otto" always resolves to my machine in
>>> /etc/hosts:
>>>  ::1 localhost otto.kramse.dk otto otto.local localhost6
>>>  127.0.0.1 localhost otto.kramse.dk otto otto.local

> 3) What is the best way to add paths to the X11 xterm. When I put them
> in
> my .cshrc file they get added twice.

Funny. Weird. Have you tried doing them in the .xinitrc file?

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>