[OS X TeX] A few questions

nathan.sidoli at utoronto.ca nathan.sidoli at utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 4 17:16:01 CEST 2004

Hello All --

I've just set up teTeX on a G4 powerbook. I installed Wierda's dist and
moved all my LaTeX files etc over from my linux machine.

I like to write in emacs and view the .dvi as I go, only converting to
.pdf at the end. Carbon Emacs looks nice but it doesn't act the way I
expect so it looks like I'll just run emacs in the apple terminal.

I have a few questions about the way the apple term works.

1) Is there some way I can get things to open up suspended in a separate
window as with most linux dists? ie:

emacs &

should pop up a second window running emacs. In fact this doesn't work in
the X11 xterm either.

2) Can I run xdvi from the apple term? I get

Error: Can't open display:

It would be nice to be able to run the view command (C-c C-v) in emacs. I
can run xdvi from the X11 xterm but this is ad hoc.

3) What is the best way to add paths to the X11 xterm. When I put them in
my .cshrc file they get added twice.

Thanks,
Nathan

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>