[OS X TeX] ISO Latin 1 isn't ISO Latin 1

Jan Eden lists at janeden.org
Tue Aug 3 22:24:09 CEST 2004

Hi Friedrich,

Friedrich Vosberg wrote on 01.08.2004:

>Morning.
>
>The situation: PHP reads by MySQL a database request and writes it by
>fwrite() into an textfile.
>
>When I open this textfile in TeXShop all umlauts and special characters
>were wrong (encoding MacRoman). If I switch to encoding ISO Latin 1 all
>umlauts were hided. Instead of »öfters übler Ärger« it's displayed
>»fters bler rger«. But if I open the textfile in SubEthaEdit and
>encoding ISO Latin 1 all umlauts and special characters are displayd
>correctly.

I am not sure what you mean by "switch to ISO Latin 1". Do you choose ISO Latin as the default encoding *before* opening the document?

>Why that?
>
>I need the correct file in TeXShop because it's a longtable that must
>be included into a *.tex-document an be latexed for output.

You can always typeset your document manually using the terminal:

latex file.tex
dvipdf file.dvi

- or -

pdflatex file.tex

HTH - Jan
--
If all else fails read the instructions. - Donald Knuth
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>